Facts about Worms in Cats
Worms in cats are sometimes hard to control most particularly if this is your first time to encounter them. Cats may get varieties of intestinal parasites. Infestations of these parasites can cause some symptoms. But, sometimes, it is hard to determine if cats have worms in their bodies because they do not show any signs of infection. More often than not, infestation of such parasites is undetected even though it can cause serious health problems.
Types of Worms in Cats
There are several types of worms in cats. Below are some of them:
- Roundworms- this type of worm is the most usual intestinal parasites that live inside the body of cats. It is like spaghetti with 3-4 inches long. There are different ways on how cats can be infected. Nursing kittens may get roundworms if their mother is infected with such worms while an adult can acquire them through ingesting feces of infected cats or eating infected rodents. Roundworms in cats can be treated by using dewormers.
- Hookworms- are the kind of worms that are smaller and can reside on cat’s small intestines. Since they are fed with the blood of an animal, hookworms can be dangerous especially to some kittens. A cat can be infected by these worms through skin contact or ingestion. These worms are also common in other dogs.
- Tapeworms- are flat and long segmented parasites that may range from four to twenty eight inches. Tapeworm in cats may cause weight loss and vomiting. Cats get these worms by ingesting an infected flea or some rodent. When a cat is infected by tapeworms, their segmented parts may grow like cat’s fur.
- Lungworms- when compared to other intestinal parasites, these worms reside in the lungs of cats. Majority of cats won’t show any evidence that they are infected by lungworms, but most cats that have these worms in their body may develop cough. Slugs and snails are the popular hosts of these parasites in cats, but cats typically become infected after ingesting a rodent or bird.
- Heartworms- this type of worms in cats is also life-threatening. This can be transmitted by mosquitoes. Cats that are infected by these worms do not show signs. That is why it is important for cat owners to visit a vet in order for you to know the real health condition of your cat.
How Cats Get Parasites or Worms?
Worms in cats can be transmitted in different ways. One of the most common ways is by ingesting other infected animals like birds or rodents. Cats with kittens may also pass worms to them. So, if you have a cat in your home like me, try to consult your vet and let your cat undergo regular check-up so you could monitor the health of your kitten. But, what are the symptoms of worms in cats?
Symptoms may also differ and it depends on the type of worms that infected your cat. It also depends on the location of worms, but some of the clinical signs are diarrhea, bloody stool, bloating, weight loss, vomiting, constipation, coughing, and trouble breathing. Some experts conclude that there are cats that are prone to such parasites. Outdoor cats are some of the cat that are typically infected because they are exposed to soil and other sources of foods that can give them worms. Cats who don’t receive regular health care can become infected of these intestinal parasites. So, how can you prevent worms in cats?
How to Prevent Parasites in Cats
There are various means to prevent worms in our cats. Some say that the process is like deworming puppies. But, one should take note that treating puppies is far different from providing treatments to cats. Therefore, if you don’t want to let your cats suffer from the infestation of worms, you have to find some ways that could help you treat them naturally.
Praziquantel for cats are one of the advisable medicines. I already tried this product and it is effective like others stated on their reviews. If you are not convinced with the description of the item, reading reviews of these items can be a great help. This could also assist you if it is ideal to your cat’s overall health condition.
One of the best ways to prevent parasites in cats is providing them with the right nutrition. Don’t let your cats eat anything like rodents or birds if you don’t like them to suffer from the infestation of parasites. If possible, choose only the appropriate foods for cats. When looking for dewormers in the market, don’t forget to read the labels of the products for you to ensure that it would cure your cats. Some say that dog dewormer is also a good choice for deworming cats, but if you want to deal with worms in cats, choose only the products that are suitable for cats.
Team Cats Need Drontal